Make a Connection
What’s the easiest way to grow your music studio? Think old school. The telephone is the most effective sales tool in your marketing and sales arsenal. Below is an outline I use for my phone sales effort. The product being sold here is Kidzrock but you can apply this simple format and strategy to any program in your studio. Watch the video below bottom as you read the outline.
Outline of a Pitch
- Gather information
- Parents name
- Child’s name
- Child’s age
* Name Frequency: People like to hear their name.
Refer to the child by name throughout the call
Refer to parent by name at the end of the call
A statement that clearly explains what your business offers and how your product will improve the customers’ life by solving a problem they have. Watch this video by Donald Miller to create your one liner.
One Liner Outline
Problem: Identify your customer’s problem
Solution: How does your product resolve the problem
Ending: The happy ending to their story
Sample One Liner
Our school is based on the idea that all kids love music but not all kids love lessons. We offer rock band classes that make playing an instrument fun which really helps kids feel confident in their abilities.
Identify your customers’ desires and how you can help them.
What inspired you to seek out music lessons for your child?
- An invitation to talk
- Same as a doctor asking “so what seems to be the problem?”
- Parents love to talk about their kids
- Implies you are customer based. Not product based.
- Helps you better understand customers perspective; hopes and fears
- Obtain information to better tailor your pitch
Problem: This age group not ready for lessons but have musical abilities
Solution: Make music fun and easy so kids feel good
Ending: Fall in love with music and discover their instrument
Problem: Younger children lack the fine motor skills required to succeed on an instrument
Solution: maximizes/minimizes kids strengths/weakness. (Fine motor skills vs gross motor skills
Ending: Child experiences success on an instrument
Problem: This age group lacks the patience required to master an instrument. They want instant results
Solution: Kidzrock is designed to allow kids to play as a band in one rehearsal
Ending: Child is able to build on their success and excited to face the challenges of private lessons
Problem: Risk picking the wrong instrument for child. Child wants to quit.
Solution: Kidzrock allows child to find his/her instrument
Ending: sense of accomplishment
- “Our schedule is filling up quickly and I want to make sure You get a time that works best for you”
- “We have openings on (list 2-3 options). Do any (or either) of these times work better for you”
- This question makes a subtle assumption that the customer is ready to sign up. If they are unable to commit in the moment respond with…
- “How about I reach out to you on (48 hours later) to discuss?”
Follow up with a short email reviewing the call and your plans to follow up.